Best Spotting Scope Under 100: We have reviewed some of the top-rated yet cheap spotting scopes on the market to find you the Best Spotting Scopes Under 100.
If you are in a hurry:
- 20x-60x zoom magnification
- 100 percent waterproof and fogproof
- Smooth focusing knob
Last update on 2023-09-28 / Paid links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Now, let us move on to the detailed reviews.
Top 7 Best Spotting Scope Under 100 Reviews
Here is our list of the 7 Best Spotting Scopes Under $100.
- Barska Colorado – Overall Winner
- Emarth 20-60x60AE – Best Waterproof + Fog Proof
- Celestron Landscout – Eyeglass Friendly
- Amcrest 20-60×60 – Best for Digiscoping
- SVBONY SV28 25-75×70 – Maximum Zoom
- Roxant Blackbird 12-36×50 – Best Rugged
- Huicocy 20-60x60AE HD – Budget Option
1. Barska Colorado Spotting Scope
We really like Barska 20-60×60 as it is 100% waterproof, fog-proof, and comes with fully coated lenses. Waterproofing and fog proofing prevents dust and humidity from getting inside the unit and distorting the image. So even if the weather takes a turn for the worse while you are hunting, you will still get clear images from your spotting scope.
Now, let me tell you about the optical system. Barska Colorado 20-60×60 comes with a 60mm objective lens and coated optics. It proves extremely useful in less optimal lighting conditions. You will greatly appreciate the amazing light-gathering when hunting during dawn, dusk, or on overcast days. The light gathered by the optical system gets projected onto the image to brighten it up.
The 20x to 60x zooming range provides ample magnification for spotting animals or bird watching. The magnification is extremely clear even at lower levels. Although images blur out a bit at higher magnifications, they compare favorably to other spotting scopes in this price range. I was able to spot hits on targets up to 200 yards.
Barska 20-60×60 is a straight spotting scope. It’s extremely useful for hunters who need to make quick adjustments while focusing on a target. Even while hunting in bright sunlight, the coating on the lens eliminates glare that might reflect off your lens.
- Best Spotting Scope Under $100 as per our reviews.
- 20x-60x magnification gives you a clearer image from farther away.
- Rubber armor covering to safeguard the scope from harsh conditions.
- 100% waterproofing eliminates blurry images due to condensation.
- The fully coated optical system maximizes light gathering.
- It comes with a soft carrying case and a tripod.
- Comfortable and easy to use even for beginners.
- Some users have reported issues with waterproofing not keeping moisture out.
2. Emarth 20-60x60AE Spotting Scope
The top feature of Emarth 20-60x60AE is the angled eyepiece which gives you great control when used with a quality tripod. The angled eyepiece makes focusing more comfortable. It also lends extra stability to the spotting scope even when used in high winds.
Another feature of the Emarth 20-60x60AE that I like is its optical system. It comes with a “BK-7 prism”, 60m objective lens, and fully multi-coated optics. The optical system maximizes the light gathering capabilities of the spotting scope to provide clear images even during late dusk hours.
The Emarth 20-60x60AE is completely waterproof and fog proof allowing you to get maximum hours of usage during your hunting trip.
The build quality is also pretty impressive in this price range. The scope comes with a rubberized shock-absorbing coating which makes the chassis quite rugged. The lenses are sealed with O-rings to make the optical chamber both waterproof and fog proof.
Emarth 20-60x60AE is also ergonomically superior in design to other spotting scopes less than 100 dollars so you can feel more comfortable using it. It is a straight spotting scope and extremely easy to use. It is perfect for hunters who happen to be on the tallish side and don’t want to keep bending down low to make adjustments.
- Angled eyepiece and ergonomic design are great for control and comfort.
- Fully multi-coated optics for optimum image quality.
- Durable construction due to high-quality rubber armor.
- Completely waterproof and fog proof.
- It comes with a tripod and carrying case.
- Shallow eye relief makes it difficult for eyeglass wearers to use the spotting scope.
- Some users have reported issues with spotting small bullet impacts at 100 yards.
3. Celestron Landscout Spotting Scope
One of the top features of this spotting scope is the 60mm objective lens combined with fully multi-coated optics which enhances the images in lower light situations.
If you want to get some target practice out at dusk or just as the sun is about to go down, the optics will gather any light still left and focus it on your image. This way you won’t miss the shot because the target will be lit up.
Another feature that I like is the 12x to 36x zoom which allows you to zero in on targets that are a fair distance away. Eye relief, at 14mm to 18mm, is quite lacking though, and may be an issue if you wear eyeglasses. The large focus wheel lets you focus on the target, even with gloves.
Celestron Landscout 12-36×60 has a lightweight design, which proves useful on long hunting trips where there will be a lot of walking. It is a cheap spotting scope that doesn’t compromise image quality.
- Multi-coated optics help you see your target in low light.
- Zoom up to 36x lets you focus on long-range shots.
- Easy to use large focus wheel with a rubber grip.
- The durable and lightweight construction makes it perfect for hunting trips.
- Shallow eye relief means you need to press your eye right up to the lens.
- Some users have reported image distortion issues at higher magnifications.
- Also, users have reported poor visibility beyond 100 yards.
4. Amcrest 20-60×60 Spotting Scope
We were very impressed by the performance of the Amcrest 20-60×60 spotting scope during our recent hunting trip. The optics system is just fantastic! It uses a 60mm objective lens, a fully multi-coated lens, and a BK7 Porro Prism so that you see clear images even in poor light.
This is very important for us hunters as many a time we are out looking for a game during sunset or early morning hours. You get excellent performance in low light, as well as bright sunlight. But if there is too much sun, you can use the in-built sun shade to reduce the glare.
We liked the complete viewing experience whether in daylight or after. But we especially loved the brighter edges and the rich depth of field that you get from this spotting scope.
This spotting scope is an excellent option for hunting due to a couple of features. First, the wide FoV and magnification range let you cover a large area at once. Second, it is IPX6 weatherproof so you can use it in different seasons and weather conditions.
It comes with a metal tripod stand, a smartphone adapter, and a carrying case. The included smartphone adapter can be used for digiscoping as well. You can capture photos and videos of what you are seeing using your smartphone.
- 36-19m/1000m field-of-view and 20x-60x magnification perfect for hunting.
- Multi-coated lens and BK7 Porro Prism system for quality images.
- High-quality clear and bright images even in low light conditions.
- Comes with a universal smartphone adapter for digiscoping.
- High-quality IPX6 weatherproof housing for all-season use.
- A few customers reported difficulty focusing in low light conditions.
- The tripod may not be sturdy enough for heavy use.
5. SVBONY SV28 25-75×70 Spotting Scope
SVBONY probably has the biggest range of cheap spotting scopes.
- SV14 25-75×70
- SV17 25-75×70
- SV28 25-75×70
This is hardly surprising as SVBONY is quite popular for its range of budget-friendly optics. We picked up SV28 25-75×70 for review as it is their top spotting scope under 100.
We like this spotting scope because of its design. This spotting scope is made with an IP65 waterproof body. It also has a sunshade that you will find very helpful on sunny days as you will not get any glare when you try to focus on your target. The IP65 design also protects the lens from the rain so that it doesn’t get foggy and block your images.
Another useful feature is the wide magnification range which makes it easier to zero in on your target at longer ranges. The 25x to 75x magnification will give you a full view of your target so you get the most accurate shot possible. The coated optics system gives you crisp, clear images in any type of lighting situation from direct morning sunlight to dusk.
- The body comes with a built-in sunshade to reduce glare.
- 25x to 75x magnification provides a good view of your target and surrounding areas.
- A fully coated optics system maximizes the amount of available light.
- Shallow eye relief means that you need to really press your eye into the lens.
- Some users have reported blurry images at longer ranges.
6. Roxant Blackbird 12-36×50 HD Scope
Roxant Blackbird 12-36×50 has a 45-degree angled eyepiece which makes the spotting scope very comfortable to use. You will find the angled eyepiece especially useful when you are tired from too much bending during your hunting trip. The angle allows you to focus in from a much more upright position and have greater control over your aim.
This spotting scope comes with a 50mm objective lens and features a magnification range of 12x to 36x. The magnification is very helpful if you want to get nice and close to your target without physically startling your prey. We used this spotting scope to target animals as far away as 500 yards.
Roxant Blackbird 12-36×50 HD also comes with a mountable tripod. If you are using your vehicle to position yourself for a great shot, then the tripod mount will help by making the spotting scope more stable.
- Magnification up to 36x is great for long-range hunting.
- Angled spotting scope to let you focus more comfortably in an upright position.
- The tripod is designed to provide stability if you are using your vehicle to gain ground.
- The optic system is fully multi-coated for gathering light to brighten up your image.
- Quality control is not always great and products can become defective during shipping.
- The field of view is very narrow and makes it difficult to spot targets at a greater range.
- Poor clarity when using magnification at higher levels.
7. Huicocy 20-60×60 Spotting Scope
We are very impressed with the real-life performance and image quality Huicocy 20-60×60 Spotting Scope. The 20X-60X magnification range is powerful and easy to use so that you can zoom on distant targets.
We love the images provided by the spotting scope due to the combination of a multicoated lens and a BAK4 prism. The multicoated 60mm objective lens provides clear images even in low light conditions. The BAK4 prism has a higher refractive index than the BK7 and as a result, you get even brighter images.
The 45-degree angled eyepiece makes the scope comfortable. You can use the eyepieces with or without your glasses. There is also a retractable sun shade to reduce glare, especially in bright sunlight. The wide 131-66ft/1000 yards field of view will let you see a larger area.
The rubber armor structure provides a non-slip grip, and the large focusing ring makes it easy for you to adjust the focus. The scope comes with a 12” tripod, a cell phone adapter, and a carrying bag. The base screw is the standard-size tapped hole that fits most tripods.
Huicocy 20-60×60 is a top-rated spotting scope with high-quality optics that deliver clear and bright images. I recommend this spotting scope to anyone looking for a top-rated spotting scope for their hunting trip.
- Powerful 20X-60X magnification range for clear and detailed views of distant targets.
- The 45-degree angled eyepiece can be used with or without glasses
- BAK4 prism and multicoated 60mm green film objective lens provide bright and crisp images.
- Non-slip rubber armor structure for easy handling even in wet conditions.
- Comes with a carrying/storage bag for convenient transport
- Image quality may get affected in very low light conditions.
- May not be suitable for use in extreme weather conditions such as heavy rain or snow.
How to Pick a Cheap Spotting Scope
Most seasoned hunters will tell you that as long as the spotting scope has the features you need, it doesn’t have to cost you a lot of money. Premium spotting scopes come with bells and whistles that you may not even use so why pay extra for them?
If you think about what you really need and make a list of your must-haves; then you will probably find those features in a less expensive model. When I am buying a spotting scope, I only look for five features:
- Optical System
- Eye Relief
Basis these features we found Barska Colorado 20-60×60 to be the best cheap spotting scope. Now, let us understand each of these features in detail.
Magnification on scopes in this price range can go up to 60x or more. But, cheap spotting scopes need optimal lighting to deliver clear images at higher magnifications.
So, in my opinion, look for weatherproofing and high-quality optics than the highest magnification.
Optics come with different types of coatings to help improve your view of the target in different lighting situations. Most good spotting scopes under the 100 dollars mark come with fully coated optics.
Image quality at higher magnifications is significantly impacted by the effectiveness of the optical system in directing light into the spotting scope. The lens quality of your optical system is also important. If you have poor-quality glass then it may limit the efficiency of the entire optical system.
Straight vs. Angled Eyepiece
The angle of the eyepiece is a personal preference for any hunter. Some hunters swear by the straight angle as being the most effective for hunting as it gives you better control over your focus.
Others say that an angled spotting scope, used with a good tripod, will give you the most control, especially in windy conditions.
The eyepiece will also have something called “eye relief” which allows your eye to sit some distance away from the lens. The more generous the eye relief, the more comfortable you will find looking through the eyepiece to line up your shot.
Good weatherproofing on any spotting scope will guarantee that the image is not blurred or foggy because of condensation in the lens.
If you hunt in extreme weather, you may want to invest in a spotting scope with quality weatherproofing rather than the highest magnification. A bad seal on the spotting scope will let humidity in and sometimes that can ruin the lens permanently.
Some lenses will experience bubbling because of humidity seeping into the coating. Some others will completely narrow the field of view by creating a “fish-eye” effect where the image is barely viewable.
Most scopes, at this price point, come with a tripod. But, as per general user experience, the tripods that come included have poor build quality.
Investing a little more in a good quality tripod will increase your chances of getting that perfect shot even with a cheap spotting scope.
Different tripods are suitable for different terrain. If you are hunting off the side of a windy mountain, then you want a short heavy tripod for excellent support and control. If you are using your vehicle, then having a tripod with a car mount will work great for you.
Barska Colorado 20-60×60 Spotting Scope is the Best Spotting Scope Under 100 as per our reviews. It is a straight scope that you can use with a tripod to give you great accuracy in determining the distance of the target. Although this spotting scope comes with a tripod, you can use it fairly easily without the tripod as well.
Barska’s waterproofing and fog proofing do an excellent job of keeping moisture and dust out of the lens. While a lot of other cheap spotting scopes boast this feature, Barska’s design is actually effective. It gives you optimal images in any weather. It provides a greater magnification distance of 60x which is not always used with other scopes in this price category.
Barska also provides better eye relief than other spotting scopes in this price range. Also, due to its straight design, you won’t find yourself pressing your eye up against the lens to get a good image.
We hope you like our pick of the Best Spotting Scopes Under 100. In case you feel we missed out on a great product, then please let us know via comments and we will try to include it in our next update.
Last Updated on July 3, 2023 by Victor Mays